What is Poha? Poha is an Indian dish made from flattened rice. It is light and easy to prepare. You can find poha at Indian supermarkets.
I sometimes get bored with having the same breakfast everyday so I love finding healthy and yummy alternatives. It’s great for the digestive system to regularly change what we eat also. This helps keep our digestive fire (agni) strong.
This poha dish provides a yummy, simple and healthy breakfast option. You can also have it for lunch or dinner!
- 2 cups of poha rinsed in room temperature water
- 1 tablespoon of ghee (or oil of choice)
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder/seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4-1/2 a green chilli (chopped finely). Check the level of spiciness of the chilli to determine how much you want to add.
- 1 tablespoon of pumpkin seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 inches of fresh ginger (grated)
- 2 carrots (grated)
- 1 stick of celery (chopped)
- 1/2 cup of peas
- 1/4 cup of rasins
- 1/2 a lemon
- Coriander leaves to serve (optional)
- Heat ghee in a frying pan on medium heat and add the cumin, fennel and coriander seeds/powder.
- Once the spices become fragrant add the grated ginger and green chilli and stir. Cook for 1-2 mins.
- Add the grated carrot, celery, raisins, pumpkin seeds, peas and turmeric powder. Cook for 3-5 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Turn the heat to low then stir through the poha. Once stirred through, turn the heat off (there is no need to cook the flattened rice).
- Add squeezed lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with coriander leaves on top (optional)